4.27.2011

Simple DIY Pillow Covers

I have been looking for MONTHS for pillows for our living room. I love the new chairs but finding pillows that I liked was a challenge. I had lumbar pillows in a navy blue geometric pattern in my head. Everything I found was $80 or more and I just refuse to pay that for pillows in a room which gets limited use. Impossible. Where is navy blue in decorating accessories lately? It has all bet disappeared which is sad. Everything is green and tan. So... I decided I would have to make them. I stumbled on some great fabric on the remnant pile at a local fabric store. Actually I found A LOT of it so it will likely show up in a future project.

I debated for about a month whether I wanted to have pillows of all one fabric, or two or more fabrics. Finally, I decided on simple. Then I went looking for pillow inserts. I love down throw pillows but they were way out of my price range. So, another few weeks went by.

Then I was walking through Ross the other day and found these pillows.
Down-filled lumbar pillows for $8.99. Yes! The current covers aren't my style but fortunately they have a zipper, so I'll sell the covers in my yard sale. Actually one cover was really ripped so I got that one for 20% off. Even better.

So I spent about 3 hours last Saturday sewing some pillows. I used the envelope style instead of a zipper - much easier. Basically the back has two overlapping pieces where you can insert the pillow. I should have taken some pictures of the process. I used one of the covers as my pattern for the others.

Apologies for the lack of in progress pictures, but once I started sewing, I couldn't stop for fear I wouldn't start again for another month!

Here's the result. Not bad I think and they will definitely serve the purpose for what I wanted
I love that all of the chairs are cohesive now. honestly, I am really tired of the rug in there because there is so much red in it, but I cannot justify getting rid of it at this point. We paid a lot of money for it and we don't use that room enough to make it worthwhile at this point. Fortunately I don't hate the rug. Yet.

So, I'm living with it. For now.

Are you doing any sewing projects this week?


Linking up to...