6.22.2010

DIY Headboard: Part II (The BIG Reveal!)

Yesterday, I did the first post about our DIY upholstered headboard.  Today's post is the finale and the big reveal!



After covering the buttons, I placed each button on the headboard in the approximate location where I wanted it to go - 3 across the top and 4 on the bottom.  I marked each location, then using some heavy duty twine and a needlepoint needle (with a large eye for the string) I poked through the peg board holes in the back through the foam and fabric on the front.  I then strung the button onto the string and poked the needle back through another hole in the peg board.  While Jim pushed on the button in the front, I pulled both strings in the back and tied them off very tightly.  We did each of the seven buttons in the exactly the same way and tied off each tightly.  The result is a sophisticated tufted headboard!


We hung it on the wall tonight using a simple cleat system - one piece of MDF (about 25" long) flat on the back of the headboard with a 45 degree angle across the edge.  We hung another piece of MDF on the wall with the opposing 45 degree angle, then slipped the headboard over the wall cleat.  The headboard is heavy enough not to slip off, but if we feel we need more stability, we can put a few screws in through the bottom frame of the headboard behind the bed.

And now, the room before the headboard...

And here's the after...


Even Jim had to admit that it looked really good.  I'm sure this won't be my last upholstered headboard.  I have some long term plans for our master bedroom...